Aerostat systems have multiple benefits over other aerial surveillance methods (aircraft and drones), the primary one being the considerably lower cost of operations. They are easier to assemble and deploy, consume lesser fuel, need lesser maintenance and have great load-bearing capacities. Countries across the globe are now using these systems to improve their capabilities in surveillance, reconnaissance, and intelligence. Moreover, increased demand from the communication, homeland security, military and weather sectors are leading tremendous growth in the aerostat system market.
The five vital factors driving the Aerostat Systems Market are:
- Growing adoption of intelligent video surveillance systems: The global intelligent video surveillance market is experiencing significant growth as organizations more fully realize the benefits offered by video analytics, object recognition, and other intelligent features. Europe, Middle East, and Africa (EMEA) market are expected to register double-digit growth in the next five UAE, Kuwait, and Qatar are projected to have the highest growth in the Middle East. On the other hand, Nigeria is leading the way in Africa. The Asia Pacific is projected to have high growth, owing to the increased territorial fights within the region.
- Increasing Government Support: Governments across the globe are increasingly using aerostat systems for military applications in areas such as surveillance, reconnaissance, intelligence, and border security, as also within the country for signs of natural disasters, crimes, and civil unrest. The increasing government support has been evident with the US Army awarding a USD 305 million contract to Bravura Information Technology Systems to support the persistent surveillance systems-tethered aerostat program. In another instance, in the Middle Eastern countries, a total of 353 aerostats were delivered in 2014, and the number is expected to increase to 962 aerostats by 2018. In the APAC region, China has invested heavily to procure aerostat systems from AUGUR-RosAerSystems, Malaysia has collaborated with several vendors to arrive at a memorandum of understanding for the supply of aerostat systems. India has been taking major leaps in the segment as well. Akashdeep, Nakshatra, and Chakshu are some of the major programs being conducted in India mainly focusing on the development of small aerostat systems.
- Cost Effectiveness: Less consumption of fuels, are stationary, and can carry a large payload with minimum expenditure are the key benefits of aerostats system. Aerostat usage has saved about 500% in surveillance costs, compared to the expenditure incurred by using fixed-wing Some low-maintenance aerostat systems can operate 24/7 for weeks or even months at a time, offering persistent Intelligence, Surveillance and Reconnaissance (ISR), which is not possible by planes or drones as they require more frequent charging and fueling. Aero-T, a subsidiary of the Israel-based RT LTA Systems, is developing and manufacturing a new type of aerostat named SkyGuard, which will be able to function maintenance-free for at least seven days. With increasing funding, aerostats would substitute UAVs and low-flying surveillance systems from the persistent surveillance sector, where the major pinch-points are all-weather operations and high operation costs.
Read the report published by Inkwood Research on “GLOBAL AEROSTATS SYSTEMS MARKET“
- Advanced Payload Systems: Aerostats, with advanced payload systems, offer accurate surveillance and communication links, thereby reducing possibilities of any threats. Also, these systems typically have a high average lifetime of several thousand hours. For instance, the 71M Low Altitude Surveillance System developed by TCOM, L.P. offers a lifetime of up to 1,000,000 hours, which render them advantageous over other aerial surveillance systems.
- Technological Advancements: Rapid technological innovations, from using novel materials to increase the use of IoT is another factor that is driving the Aerostat Systems market. For instance, in July 2017 Pune-based GWRL, a technical textile manufacturer, and Aero-T, an Israeli technology company joined hands to produce advanced aerostats, which help in low-level ground surveillance in different terrains. In another example, TCOM is enabling the latest 4G LTE cellular coverage in times of emergency.
All these are the vital factors that are driving the Aerostat Systems market. If the recent trend continues, the sector will be clocking double-digit growth in the years to come. Some of the key companies operating in the market are Raven Industries Inc., Raytheon, Exelis Inc., Lockheed Martin, Israel Aerospace Industries, Lindstrand Technologies Limited, AUGUR-RosAeroSystems, Allsopp Helikites Ltd., ILC Dover, L.P., and Drone Aviation.
Author: Jay Karia
Digital Marketing Executive at Inkwood Research.